Lots of people concentrate on keeping the paintwork on their cars polished and clean but incredibly seem to forget all about their wheels. Even beautiful shiny alloy wheels have a tendency to be forgotten.
“Alloy wheels can make a big improvement to your car” explains Tom Hindle from HGV Training Cost. They can improve the way that your car responds and the handling as well as adding a little style to the appearance of your car. Shiny alloy wheels look incredibly attractive but they don’t look after themselves you know. In order to keep those alloys glinting and shining they need to be cleaned and properly maintained.
So what’s the secret to keeping those alloys shining?
Well, it’s not rocket science, in fact it’s pretty easy to do and doesn’t take any more skill, money or effort to keep them clean than it does the remainder of your motor.
Regular attention is the key to shiny alloys. Keeping them clean and maintained will mean that your wheels look stunning for longer increasing the longevity of the wheel as well as adding to the appearance of your car.
So what do you need?
Well, a sponge will work wonders, if you don’t have a non-abrasive sponge you could use a cleaning mitt, cloth or soft bristled brush. You will also need a dry cloth to wipe down the wheels after you’ve washed them. You will also need some sort of cleaning product – make sure that the fluid you choose is compatible with both the paint and the coating of your wheels. Check out the manufacturers guidelines or handbook if you’re not sure.
You will also need some sort of wax or polish which is specifically manufactured for alloy wheels. It’s not expensive, it lasts for ages and it does a great job. You should be able to find it in most car accessory stores. Have another dry cloth handy for the wax or polish.
Is that it? Well, not quite . . .
A bucket of warm, soapy water and a hose pipe handy for some clean, cold water to rinse them off later.
Okay, let’s get started!
- Rinse the alloys with clean water (the hose pipe should do this well) spraying over the entire wheel making sure that you get into all of those hidden corners and spokes.
- Gently wash the wheel with your sponge / cloth / mitt and warm soapy water, be sure that you don’t scratch the wheel surface and that you get into all of those hard to reach areas.
- Rinse off your alloys with the cold water from the hose.
- Give your wheels another wash with soapy water.
- Rinse again and repeat.
- After your alloys are clean give them a wipe over with a dry cloth.
Okay, now you’ve got clean wheels, it’s time to add the protection. I hope you’ve checked that your cleaning products, wax and polish are compatible with alloy wheels!
- Take a soft cloth or rag and apply your specialist wax or polish making sure that you cover all of the surface areas.
- After you’ve applied the wax or polish to the whole area take a dry, clean cloth and buff it up to create a nice, even shine.
And that’s all there is to it.
If your alloy wheels have been sadly neglected over a period of time then the first clean could take some time to get the results you want, but once you’ve cleaned them up it is pretty easy to maintain the fabulous finish. Regular cleaning and polishing will help the wheels to look good and improve the overall appearance of the motor as well as helping them to look good for longer.